Once a school has established the specific protocols that will be used, the next step is to prepare everyone who will play a role to be successful. This involves comprehensive training and education of custodians and 3rd party service providers as well as teachers, staff, and, if necessary, students.
In general, training topics should include:
- Why Cleaning Is So Important
- Procedures Basic Cleaning Principles
- The Use of PPE
Understanding basic cleaning principles provides individuals with a baseline of knowledge to be successful. A list of key principles is included in the PiP program – titled “Basic Cleaning/Disinfection Principles.”
When considering training and education programs, schools should keep the following things in mind:
- There are a variety of training/education formats available through a local Triple S Member, including:
- In-person, live “classroom” training
- In-person, live demonstration training – Perfect for students, teachers and staff members
- Traditional videos and DVDs
- Online programs
- Programs delivered through a mobile app
- The format must be easily understood by the specific trainees
- Topics covered must be specific to the processes, procedures and tasks employed. Among the topics that may be covered:
Local Triple S Members can provide training and education programs on the topics listed above and may also assist with training/certification focused on more advanced concepts, including:
- Match the topics covered to the specific tasks assigned to the trainee (e.g.: If teachers will be asked to perform disinfection, they must be taught proper disinfection techniques and if students will be asked to wipe their work spaces, they must be trained on how to use wipes.
- Training and education must also be specific to the products that will be used.
- Refresher training should be provided on a scheduled basis – at least once per year.
A sample training plan is available as part of the PiP program package. Schools are strongly encouraged to use Triple S’ “Mobile Coach” application to help provide training. The app allows custodial professionals to review materials at their own pace. Students, teachers and staff members, on the other hand, will need to be shown what to do through in-person demonstration training.
And involvement in training is key. As Benjamin Franklin famously said, “Tell me and I forget, teach me and I may remember, involve me and I learn.”